Remember when the holidays were nothing but totally delightful and fun? I sure do! My mom recently gave me the above photo from when I was 2.5 years old, which accurately depicts how I want to celebrate everyday in an aligned way. With that in mind, I created these 11 tips to stay balanced and lighten up during the holiday season. May you celebrate with childlike wonder and utilize these suggestions to enjoy what matters most: family, friends, your health, and the beauty of the season!
1. Open your eyes wide! Slow down, take a deep breath, and realize that the greatest gift for you and your loved ones is simply to be present.
2. Practice gratitude! Spend a few minutes each morning when you arise and make a list of what you’re grateful for. Share it with the people around you.
3. Go for a walk in nature, even if it’s cold out. If you’re in the city, make sure to visit the closest park and hug a tree. (No really, I am serious. Hugging trees is therapeutic and grounding.)
4. Spend a few minutes every day doing something just for yourself, especially if it feels like you don’t have time. You’ll notice how much more you can accomplish when you’re calm.
5. Volunteer! The satisfaction and pride that come from helping others will give you a great sense of fulfillment and teach you life long lessons.
6. Look at the calendar as a whole and try not over-schedule. Accept invitations with joy, and say no with love. Reclaim family time, and quietly enjoy the spirit of the season with your loved ones.
7. Start the day with yoga and meditation. When life gets busy make sure to do simply 10 minutes of practice each day.
8. Delight in down time. Drink some nice wine or green juice by the fireplace with the people you love 🙂
9. Sip plenty of warm lemon water throughout the day to help cleanse the body and keep your mind clear. (To balance #9!)
10. Turn off electronics an hour before you plan to go to sleep to promote deep rest.
11. If you can do nothing else this holiday season – BREATHE DEEP! Remember, the holi-days are a magical time of the year, so breathe in pleasure and joy, and breathe out stress, impatience and any other emotions that are not serving you.
Please feel free to share these essential tips with your friends!
Leave a Reply